SUPPORTING ORAL LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT IN THE CLASSROOM
LANGUAGELINK INFORMATION SESSION FOR PRINCIPALS
Monaghan Education Centre
2nd April 2019
2.00pm - 4.00 pm
What is LanguageLink?
LanguageLink is a cloud based commercial language assessment and support package, delivered from a secure platform. It was developed by speech and language therapists and is widely used in the UK. The package is designed for use by teachers in mainstream schools to help identify and manage children’s language difficulties. Infant Language Link is suitable for children aged 4-8 years, Junior Language Link is suitable for 8-11 year olds.
· The package consists of a short online standardised assessment of receptive language (15 minutes) that may be delivered by a teacher on a one to one basis.
· Pupils requiring support are identified and assigned to specific support programmes for small groups or in the classroom. For example, children who need support with developing attention and listening skills, or the concepts or language structures that underpin academic learning, are matched to the relevant group programmes. Class room strategies are clearly defined. Those that may need specialist help are also identified.
· The package contains over 1000 colourful downloadable resources, 22 planned termly language groups, 34 individual supplementary teaching plans and 78 parental handouts.
· Data collection and records for individual children and classes/groups integrated into the package.
· Online training takes about 90 minutes
· A help desk with LanguageLink SLT support is available
Why consider using a language support programme?
· On average 25% of children starting school have delayed speech and language skills and there are potentially higher numbers in areas of deprivation. Children with the best language skills achieve better academic outcomes. Children with weak language struggle at school. Only a small percentage of these children will be appropriate for specialist SLT help.
· The Primary Language Curriculum emphasises the importance of supporting language development at school.
Who is using LanguageLink?
LanguageLink is widely used in the UK and in Northern Ireland. Some schools in Ireland have begun to use the package this year. Cavan Monaghan Speech and Language Therapy Department have been supporting 2 schools to trial the package and will be represented at the information talk should you have any questions.
What does is cost?
Last year the Infant level LanguageLink package cost approximately 550 euros, per school, inclusive of assessment, resources, and data profiling for all pupils. Annual license renewal is currently approximately half this figure. More information regarding cost is available from LanguageLink.
A free trial is available where a school can try out the assessment on any number of pupils and sample resources over the course of a week.
See www.speechlink.co.uk for more information
|Course Date||02-04-2019 2:00 pm|
|Course End Date||02-04-2019 4:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||02-03-2019|
|Cut off date||02-04-2019 2:00 pm|
|Speaker||Judith McMillan & Derry Patterson, Speech & Language Therapists, LanguageLink|
|Location||Monaghan Education Centre|